Merito Group is a woman owned recruitment firm based in Northern Virginia, USA. One of the services we offer our candidates is interview coaching, preparing potential workers for their interview with their potential employer. Here, Indeed.com takes you through the top hints and tips in preparing for your interview.
You have your job interview scheduled—congratulations! Now it’s time to prepare. In this article you’ll learn:
- How to practice your answers to interview questions
- Prepare your own questions for employers
- Make a great first impression
- What to bring to the interview
- Tips on good manners and body language
- How to win them over with your authenticity and positivity
Practice strong answers
In the days before your job interview, set aside time to do the following:
- Research the company so you can go into your interview with a solid understanding of the requirements of the job and how your background makes you a great fit. Review our Complete Guide to Researching a Company.
- Prepare your answer to the common question: “Tell me about yourself, and why are you interested in this role with our company?”. The idea is to quickly communicate who you are and what value you will bring to the company and the role—it’s your personal elevator pitch.
- Re-read the job description. You may want to print it out and begin underlining specific skills the employer is looking for. Think about examples from your past and current work that align with these requirements. Prepare to be asked about times in the past when you used a specific skill and use the STAR method to tell stories with a clear Situation, Task, Action and Result.
- Practice! Actually practicing your answers out loud is an incredibly effective way to prepare. Say them to yourself or ask a friend to help run through questions and answers. You’ll find you gain confidence as you get used to saying the words.
Prepare smart questions
Interviews are a two-way street. Employers expect you to ask questions: they want to know that you’re thinking seriously about what it would be like to work there. Here are some questions you may want to consider asking your interviewers:
- “Can you explain some of the day-to-day responsibilities this job entails?”
- “How would you describe the characteristics of someone who would succeed in this role?”
7. “If I were in this position, how would my performance be measured? How often?
To read more interview tips from Indeed, click here.
Merito Group is a small women-owned business providing excellence in outsourced talent acquisition solutions including retained executive search, RPO, and consulting services. Looking to hire exceptional talent? Contact us by email or 703-734-6340. To view our current career opportunities click here.